When spending more time at home, especially with kids in tow, outside time can be essential to getting through the day. But when rain strikes -- or the cold makes its way back into our supposed spring -- weather throws an entire wrench into the mix. That means finding new and creative ways to stay busy all day long. From playing indoor games, to streaming movies from resources offering up free material during the pandemic, you can use these tips for a household that's happily entertained.
The best part about cooking is that once you're done, you get to eat! Keep your kids -- or just yourself -- busy with cooking, baking or all of the above. Get creative with whatever ingredients are in the house (it's weird times when it comes to groceries these days!), or opt for family faves that everyone will love, like desserts, dinner and more. This is no DFac experience, of course, so pull out all the stops and truly enjoy your time.
Grab an apron and put on a favorite song and spend a few hours in the kitchen to pass this rainy, dreary day!
2.Make a fort
Set up a tent inside the home, or even in the garage. Suddenly every activity is fun and overt, simply because you're playing with toys in a tent! Parents looking to make real soldiers out of their kids can even encourage an outdoor tent to teach survivalist skills that can be used later in life. However, there's a fine line between fun and ridiculous tasks, walk it lightly.
Either way, marshmallows are encouraged.
Make a tornado in a jar. Explore with sensory bins. Drop food coloring into different liquids, mix colors to make new colors, and more. Put your best Pinterest searching skills to work and find fun science experiments that can keep kids of all ages busy throughout the day.
Or, for the adults among us, see what cleaning supplies you can make from items in your house.
4.Stream free resources
Now more than ever you can find tons of free content online. Get your use out of your Internet subscription and take advantage of unique content you can't normally watch!
- Frozen's Josh Gad is reading bedtime stories
- Trolls is Free for Download
- The Metropolitan Opera is streaming past performances
- Classic sporting events and documentaries can be streamed
Pick your poison! There's so much free stuff to choose from right now, you can truly take in some new scenes, without ever leaving the comfort of your cozy living room.
5.Look at old photos
Who doesn't like looking at days of the past? Pictures are a fun reminder of who and where you used to be. Previous duty stations, old friends and younger days abound. With kids, you can tell stories about each picture for a fun way to teach them about their past and yours, too.
How do you stay occupied on a rainy day inside?
- 10 ways not to become your kids' snack machine during the ... ›
- 28 free virtual field trips and activities for families in quarantine ... ›
- 6 outside activities for kids that don't involve public places ... ›
- 20 Best Indoor Activities for Kids - Rainy Day Fun for Children ›
- Top 10 Rainy Day Activities for Kids - FamilyEducation ›
- 50 Indoor Activities for Kids on a Rainy Day | MommyPoppins ... ›
- Parents use creativity to take kids on driveway adventures - Americas Military Entertainment Brand ›