These photos from the week of Aug. 24, 2018, feature airmen from around the globe involved in activities supporting expeditionary operations and defending America. This weekly feature showcases the men and women of the Air Force.
1. F-16C Fighting Falcons from the New Jersey National Guard’s 177th Fighter Wing fly overhead during the Thunder over the Boardwalk Air Show in Atlantic City, N.J., Aug. 22, 2018.
(U.S. Air National Guard photo by Master Sgt. Matt Hecht)
2. Airman 1st Class Cassandra Herlache, 9th Operation Support Squadron radar, airfield and weather apprentice, executes a climb during a trial run at Beale Air Force Base, Calif., Aug. 16, 2018. Airmen in the process of climbing must have three points of physical contact with the tower at all times.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Justin Parsons)
3. A B-52H Stratofortress takes off from Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, on a Continuous Bomber Presence mission in support of exercise Pitch Black 18 in Australia's Northern Territory Aug. 6, 2018. Bilateral training between the U.S. and allies like Australia increases interoperability and strengthens long-standing military-to-military partnerships.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Christopher Quail)
4. Members of the 927th Aeromedical Staging Squadron lift a patient litter during training at Exercise Patriot Warrior Aug. 14, 2018 at Fort McCoy, Wis. Patriot Warrior readies expeditionary Reserve Airmen for worldwide deployments and provides knowledge and experience to strengthen skills and understanding.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Xavier Lockley)
5. The U.S. Air Force Honor Guard Drill Team performs during the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo, with other performers, on the Esplanade of the Edinburgh Castle in Edinburgh, Scotland, Aug. 14, 2018. The Tattoo is a global gathering of differing talents and performers from every corner of the globe, allowing each participating country to display pride in their military power and culture.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Michael S. Murphy)
6. An F-22 Raptor lands at Volk Field Air National Guard Base, Wis., during Exercise Northern Lightning 18-2 Aug. 17, 2018. Northern Lightning is one of seven Air National Guard joint accredited exercises held at Volk Field.
(U.S. Air National Guard photo by Airman 1st Class Cameron Lewis)
7. President Donald J. Trump presents the Medal of Honor to Valerie Nessel, the spouse of U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. John Chapman, during a ceremony at the White House in Washington, D.C., Aug. 22, 2018. Sergeant Chapman was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for actions on Takur Ghar mountain in Afghanistan on March 4, 2002, an elite special operations team was ambushed by the enemy and came under heavy fire from multiple directions. Chapman immediately charged an enemy bunker through thigh-deep snow and killed all enemy occupants. Courageously moving from cover to assault a second machine gun bunker, he was injured by enemy fire. Despite severe wounds, he fought relentlessly, sustaining a violent engagement with multiple enemy personnel before making the ultimate sacrifice. With his last actions he saved the lives of his teammates.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Wayne A. Clark)
8. Capt. Andrew “Dojo” Olson, F-35 Heritage Flight Team pilot and commander, performs aerial maneuvers in the F-35A Lightning II during the Chicago Air and Water Show in Chicago, Aug. 18, 2018. More than 1.5 million guests attended the two-day air show to watch multiple aerial demonstrations along the shores of Lake Michigan.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Alexander Cook)
9. Members from the Naha Air Base fire department test the force of water during joint live-fire training Aug. 7th, 2018, at Kadena AB, Japan. The exercise allowed the 18th Civil Engineer Squadron and Japan Air Self Defense Force to utilize different equipment, and review tactics to putting out fires as part of a knowledge exchange.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Greg Erwin)
10. U.S. Air Force Capt. Bryant Bailey, 37th Airlift Squadron pilot, and Lt. Col. Alex Miller, 37th AS director of operations, fly a C-130J Super Hercules aircraft over Romania as Romanian air force Lt. Cmdr. Nicoleta Udrescu, Air Base 90 Otopeni pilot, watches during exercise Carpathian Summer 2018, Aug. 21, 2018. The purpose of the bilateral training exercise is to enhance interoperability and readiness by conducting combined air operations with the Romanian air force.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Devin Boyer)
11. First Lt. Hillary Keltner, 50th Operations Support Squadron staff instructor for space situational awareness, follows a dress right dress command during an open ranks inspection at Schriever Air Force Base, Colo., Aug. 21, 2018. The inspection was the first the squadron held in years.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Dennis Rogers)
12. Valerie Nessel, the spouse of Tech. Sgt. John Chapman, holds up the Medal of Honor after receiving it from President Donald J. Trump during a ceremony at the White House in Washington, D.C., Aug. 22, 2018.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Rusty Frank)
13. A U-2 Dragon Lady pilot assigned to the 9th Reconnaissance Wing pilots the high-altitude reconnaissance platform at approximately 70,000 feet above an undisclosed location. The U-2 is a high-altitude, near space reconnaissance aircraft and delivers critical imagery which enables decision makers at all levels the visual capabilities to execute informed decisions in any phase of conflict.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Lt. Col. Ross Franquemont)
This article originally appeared on the United States Air Force. Follow @usairforce on Twitter.