Israel trolled Iran on June 4, 2018, with a gif from the film "Mean Girls" after Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei called for their complete annihilation.
Khamenei tweeted that Israel is a "cancerous tumor" that needs to be "eradicated," and referenced the Palestinian "March of Return" movement which has seen several large-scale protests along the Gaza border in recent weeks.
The Israeli Embassy in the US responded to Khamenei's colorful language with a gif from the 2004 film "Mean Girls," in which Regina George, played by Rachel McAdams, Cady Heron, played by Lindsay Lohan's character, "Why are you so obsessed with me?"
The embassy's response has over 18,000 likes and 7,000 retweets.
Many of the commenters praised Israel's witty response to Iran's threats of annihilation. One user asked in Hebrew: "Who is the 15-year-old boy responsible for the embassy's Twitter?"
—YaronR (@yaronriko) June 4, 2018
Some called for the poster to receive a raise.
Give your social media coordinator a huge raise. Many, many, many shekels.— Laura Rosen Cohen (@LauraRosenCohen) June 4, 2018
Israel and Iran have recently been sparring online and offline; in May 2018, the two exchanged fire in Syria.
This article originally appeared on Business Insider. Follow @BusinessInsider on Twitter.
- Israel was reportedly set to crush Syria, then Putin stepped in ... ›
- Russia denies air defenses to Syria to protect Iran forces from Israel ... ›
- Israel says Iranian air force assembling in Syria, war may be brewing ›
- Israel served Japan's prime minister Shinzo Abe dessert out of a ... ›
- Israel stomping on Iran with strikes, stolen documents, could bring war ›