There are no stupid questions...except for these ones!
When civilians have burning questions about the military, they turn to the only trusted source out there: the internet. Luckily for us, this means we get to relive our glory days and have a little bit of amusement. What's the best thing to do when civvies ask something like, "Should I wear my cowboy hat at basic training for the Air Force?"
Gather a group of your military buddies, have some drinks, and turn the camera on:
For the record, it was a unanimous 'yes' to wearing your cowboy hat to basic training. It was the first time there was peace, belonging, and unbridled respect among the five branches.
Other questions were less universal or specifically catered to the specops vets in the group:
"How do special forces soldiers *really* open velcro quietly?"
Luckily, Green Beret Terry Schappert was on hand with a few suggestions. "Just throw a flashbang grenade. That gives you enough time and noise to open the velcro." Problem solved. Thanks, Schappert.
"Are tall and strong soldiers more effective than short, thin soldiers?"
Now this one opened up some varied points. On the one hand, tall, strong soldiers can't fit inside tanks, as U.S. Air Force vet Mark Harper sagely observed. But on the other hand, just look at U.S. Navy SEAL Remi Adeleke. Do we even need tanks? Really? If given the choice between the two...
Adeleke will win the war AND your heart.
U.S. Navy Vet and long-time We Are The Mighty host August Dannehl had some inspiration to share when it comes to the most important question of all time: "Why is it looked down upon to have your hands in your pockets in the military?"
Check out the video above to hear his answer. It is the truest answer. And it is the only answer.
A few more questions that are addressed in the video:
"How did you as a Navy SEAL or other special forces candidate get over your fear of shark encounters during training?"
"What is something that is normal to a U.S. Marine that would seem bizarre to an average person?"
"Who receives the most lethal hand-to-hand combat training? SEALS, Delta, Green Beret, Rangers, Marine Force Recon, or Air Force PJs?"
And one final question that is not:
"What the f*** is Fetty Wap?"
- The complete hater's guide to the US Air Force - We Are The Mighty ›
- This one's right up there with the best 'my recruiter lied to me' stories ... ›
- Questions and Answers: Views From Veterans - The New York Times ›
- Crazy Interview Questions and How to Answer Them | Military Hire ›
- What are some stupid questions that military veterans hate? - Quora ›
- Mighty Heroes: Meet volunteer disaster response organization founder, Ray Guasp - Americas Military Entertainment Brand ›
- 'How to get posted at Area 51' & other dumb military questions answered - Americas Military Entertainment Brand ›