Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Mike Gilday sent a message to the fleet to celebrate the 245th Navy Birthday.
Below is the text of his message:
Shipmates, this year we are celebrating our 245th Birthday virtually, around the world, together.
Although this birthday is different than in past years, what has not changed is how proud we can be of two and a half centuries of tradition, as well as our Sailors and civilians who continue to build our legacy with family members and loved ones at their side.
Today, Sailors stand the watch from the Western Atlantic to the South China Sea, and from the High North to the South Pacific. Your Navy enables prosperity 24/7/365 - at home and abroad - by helping keep the maritime commons free and open. And I promise you that our allies and partners - as well as your fellow Americans - all sleep better because you are there.
Our birthday is an important occasion because we celebrate our rich past, recognize the accomplishments of our shipmates today, and look to our bright future ahead.
The Navy needs you to be the best that you can be. Serve others. Be courageous. And always remember that America has a great Navy.
Happy 245th Birthday Navy Family. See you in the Fleet, Shipmates.
- US Navy's First Black Female Tactical Air Pilot Earns Wings of Gold ... ›
- Secretary of the Navy Safety Excellence Awards Announced ... ›
- Strengthening Partnerships: UK, U.S. Navies Conduct Mine Hunting ... ›
- Naval Academy Celebrates 175th Founders Day > United States ... ›
- SECNAV Names Navy's Newest Class of FFG(X) Ships > United ... ›