On April 30, Riley Howell was killed while resisting an active shooter where he attended school at the University of North Carolina Charlotte.
Chief Kerr Putney of the Charlotte-Mecklenberg Police Department credited Howell's efforts in disarming the gunman. "Unfortunately, he gave his life in the process. But his sacrifice saved lives." Howell was among six victims in the attack.
On Sunday, May 5, Riley Howell was buried with full military honors.
UNCC hero Riley Howell remembered at funeral with full military honors
"Riley was an ROTC cadet and would have served his country. Instead, he died saving the lives of his classmates. For his heroism, we ask that Riley be given a burial with full military honors," the petition read.
The ceremony was granted.
Howell received an honor guard detail, the playing of taps, and the folding and presenting of the American flag to his next of kin.
More than 1,000 gathered to pay their respects in the Stuart Auditorium at Lake Junaluska, North Carolina. There, they honored not only a hero, but a young man who they universally agreed was kind and pure-hearted.
The gunman has been identified by police and charged with two counts of murder and four counts of attempted murder.
- This is how the 'missing man formation' honors fallen pilots - We Are ... ›
- What to Expect When a Service Member Is Killed or Injured | Military ... ›
- This is how the military conducts a 'death notification' - We Are The ... ›
- Allow for ROTC Cadet Riley Howell to receive a full honors military ... ›
- UNC Charlotte hero Riley Howell remembered with full military honors ›
- Riley Howell, who died tackling UNC gunman, to be buried with ... ›