The Army's hard-charging chief of staff Gen. Mark Milley is making big changes to the Army, and this year's annual Association of the U.S. Army conference features the weapons and technology to make his vision a reality.
From kamikaze drones to dream vehicles, here's our favorite gear from AUSA 2016.
- Logan Nye: Army veteran and senior contributor
- Christian Lowe: Executive Editor at We Are The Mighty
- Christian is a veteran reporter and digital editor with nearly 20 years of experience covering the U.S. military at home and abroad. He deployed six times to Iraq and Afghanistan as an embedded reporter and has covered all the services in the conflict zone, on base and in halls of Capitol Hill and the Pentagon. Christian worked previously at Army Times and Military.com as well as a stint in the firearms industry as Editor in Chief of Shooting Sports Retailer and Tactical Retailer magazines. He's a competitor in IDPA, USPSA and 3-Gun Nation.
Selected links and show notes from the episode:
- You're gonna want to ride this Hellhound
- These kamikaze drones pack an explosive surprise
- [01:00] General Milley's vision of the Army and how it influences its weapons and technology.
- [04:15] AeroVironment's Switchblade kamikaze drone.
- [11:40] Northrop Grumman's Hellhound vehicle.
- [16:10] General Dynamics unveils its Griffin light tank.
- [20:35] BAE Systems Bradley Fighting Vehicle upgrade.
- [22:35] Update on the XM17 modular handgun.
- [25:00] The French military is ditching its rifle for an American design.
- [35:20] This spec ops sniper rifle fits inside a 'granola-eater' backpack.
- [40:00] Update on new body armor.
Music license by Jingle Punks:
- Goal Line
- Heavy Drivers