For the past few years, both Army and Navy break out with new uniforms to honor some aspect of their service or academy heritage during the much-anticipated Army-Navy Game. The 2019 game will feature the Black Knights honoring the 1st Cavalry Division with their uniforms while Navy is wearing throwback unis reminiscent of the days of Navy legend Roger Staubach – who will surely be in attendance.
While it's cool to see all the thought and effort that goes into making one of college football's biggest rivalries an epic game, not all of the uniforms were on target. Here are a few of the all-time best.
6. Navy's 2013 "Don't Give Up The Ship"
These majestic blue and gold digs honored not only the traditions and history of the Naval Academy but also included a traditional design with a historical, entirely relevant message underneath the uniform. Navy didn't give up the ship, beating Army 34-7.
5. Army's 2012 "1944" Tribute
This year, Army sported black and gold uniforms that honored its World War II heritage, incorporating real-world battle maps of the 1944 Battle of the Bulge. Their helmets this year also featured the black spade logo to honor the 101st Airborne Division. But badass uniforms were not enough to beat Navy, who won 17-13.
4. Navy's 2015 Ship Helmets
While Navy's uniforms this year may be par-for-the course college football jerseys, each helmet was specifically painted with a different kind of ship in the Navy's fleet. Ranked Navy beat Army 21-17.
3. Army's 2017 10th Mountain White-Outs
Almost as if Army predicted the weather, the Black Knights' 2017 all-white tribute to the 10th Mountain Division came when the game was pretty much played in the middle of a snowstorm. Army topped Navy 14-13.
2. Navy's 2019 Staubach-Era Throwbacks
Yes, it may seem unfair to add this year's Navy uniform to the list, but choosing to honor the Staubach-era Navy team by wearing a throwback to their uniforms is a thoughtful touch for the aging "Comeback Kid," who will turn 78 in 2020. Staubach led the Mids to numerous come-from-behind victories, including over vaunted rival Notre Dame. The Heisman Trophy-winner then led the team to the 1964 National Championship, but fell to number one Texas in the Cotton Bowl.
1. Army's 2018 "Big Red One" Uniforms
In 2018, the Black Knights honored the 100th Anniversary of the End of World War I with an homage to the 1st Infantry Division with these sweet black and red combo uniforms. I'm not saying this is why ranked Army topped Navy for the third year in a row, but I'm also not ruling it out.
- Navy's 2018 Army-Navy Game smack video just dropped - Americas ... ›
- Dress uniforms from every military branch, ranked - Americas ... ›
- Watch the best intro to the Army-Navy Game ever made - Americas ... ›
- Army vs. Navy: Which team has better alternate uniform for 2019 ... ›
- Army vs. Navy uniforms: Every year, rivals' alternates look awesome ... ›
- This is why sailors have 13 buttons on their trousers - Americas Military Entertainment Brand ›